Friday, July 01, 2005

spirit - willing; flesh - weak

and the saying goes: "the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak"
almost cliched but you always hear this line in that apologetic tone, sometimes sheepish at the speaker's seeming inability to get something done.

today that phrase took on a whole new meaning for me.

i wanted to go for my first oikos (cell group) but hey whadaya know? a whole truckload of factors happily hindered me from going. what supremely irritated me was the fact that i was down with a bad headache and mild sore throat (plus a possible infection of my gums rendering me slightly speech impaired) and that at the time when i'm supposed to prepare to go out, i suddenly felt really sleepy.

the spirit was hyped up and ready to go. she had her best dress on, bag packed and shoes strapped on. she was smiling and jumping and eager to take off. but the flesh was still in that dingy old school tee and shorts, lying dead on the bed and praying real hard that the suffering will come to pass.

i say that phrase, but without apology.
i am not even sure what to feel now.

pastor tay's words kept echoing in my mind: "the spirit man must be stronger than the flesh! must fight against the inclinations of our earthly nature!"

ok so those were not his exact words but hey, the meaning remains the same.

i think i should be ashamed of myself.

4 Comments:

Blogger Inarticulate said...

Well, perhaps what I did was I simply chose a service of a different timing. Like, one that's later around.. 6pm? But its on saturday nights instead.

Is this a frequent happening? Perhaps you could place some alarm clock with extremely strong vibrating qualities [like a handphone alarm] so its akin to someone shaking your bed to awake you when its time to get up

Works for me *winks*

08:23  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, the fight against the flesh is an everyday struggle, even for more mature Christians. But I'm sure God will give us the grace and strength to fight the earthly nature, no? That's where renewing our mind comes in.

---Raymond

21:51  
Blogger lyn said...

julian: i really wish i could. the thing is my cell group only has one timing which is at night and at the other end of the island for me. so it's kinda inconvenient for a girl to be travelling when it's the dead of the night. =(

haha nah. i mean, i got up and out at crazy times before. i think that day i was more sick than tired.. bah.

raymond: i know He will forgive me. but that will be after i forgive myself.

which i have. lol.

23:37  
Blogger Zen|th said...

That's always the case, isn't it? Haha.

02:28  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home