Tuesday, November 15, 2005

the frog jumped out of the well

my initial reaction to the new paper article about dawn yeo (i only just caught up with the hoo-haa because of my now-over exams. to put it in the apostle paul's words, "rejoice!") was "why the heck must xiaxue be so catty about people being prettier or more popular than she is?"

out of curiousity, i broke my personal promise to myself and visited xiaxue's blog. see, journalistic objectivity prompts us to get both sides of the story. and lo-and-behold, miss cheng dispelled my annoyance with a full length explanation of what really happened. it was one of the few times when i could exit xiaxue's blog without smirking.

i am not going to comment on how dawn yeo is unnaturally pretty thanks to plastic surgery, or debate about why plastic surgery is right/wrong/whatever. that has been talked to death and for goodness sake, give the girl a break. in fact, she's doing mankind a huge favour by being eye candy for us, you know.

what appalled me more was the unprofessional approach that the journalist who wrote that story in tnp took.

because as a person who studies journalism, the basic rule of thumb is: you. simply. do. not. make. up. quotes. ever.

i'm striking the new paper off my list of prospective career options. actually, sph is officially off my list of prospective employers. press freedom aside, the fact that editors can let something as serious as fabrication pass through to the print center...

let's just say that maybe because i am a girl who has yet to really see the world, i have idealistic expectations of this world that are on the verge of being burst.

i have a couple more things to blog about. maybe will start writing after i actually recover from this outrage and remember what it is i wanted to say. haha.

4 Comments:

Blogger lyn said...

you think alot about it meh? haha. =p

01:28  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fabrication of quotes?! That's plain disgusting. I do believe they can be sued too.

22:16  
Blogger Zen|th said...

For me, I just enjoy reading everything about this Dawn Yeo issue. Entertaining is the word I'd use.

04:14  
Blogger lyn said...

ray: erm. well. urm. =x

wh: *shrugs* not my problem. i never really trusted what tnp tells us anyway.

zenith: entertaining, i guess. it's just a springboard for the plastic surgery discussion that everyone loves to discuss. but for me it's overrated to the point that it's boring. haha.

13:46  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home